This is a great site for all kinds of gardening ideas. I like the idea of combining a naturescape and a garden.
Environmental Tips for Individuals: Your Garden
Create a Backyard Wildlife Habitat
As people take over more and more of the land, we need to provide food, water, and shelter to the animals that are now relying on us for their survival.
- Backyard Wildlife Habitat: A backyard wildlife habitat or “naturescape” can be created in your own backyard. A miniature version can even be created on your patio or deck. Basic elements include fresh water (i.e., a bird bath and, if in a yard, water low to the ground); plants and feeders that provide nourishment for birds, insects, etc.; and rocks, trees, bushes and/or bird houses for shelter and nesting. Purchase plants that are native to your area. The National Wildlife Federation has an excellent program: The Backyard Wildlife Habitat Program which provides some helpful, detailed examples.
- Attracting Animals: Learn how to attract:
- Protecting Birds: The greatest danger to birds in your yard is window collisions. Audubon provides tips for minimizing collisions.
- Resources: How to Naturescape provides inspiration and information on switching to native plants.
- Organic Gardening: Go organic!! – here are some basics.
Go there and read. More tomorrow.