Dominion is an energy company so this is actually sort of progressive. I say sort of, because if they offered real programs for solar water heaters, solar photovoltaics and geothermal at the residential level they would be on the right path. But one baby step after another I guess.
Exploring ways to save energy, money and the environment
Join Dominion in sharing ideas about how to save energy and money while helping the environment. Learn more about energy conservation from our Energy Experts.
Monday, March 16, 2009
‘Tis the season for the chore called Spring Cleaning. For me, I have to motivate myself to get ready to clean (not my favorite household chore). But this year I am thinking about it positively, thinking of all the energy I will save.
There are some chores you may want to add to your cleaning list that will help you save energy and money leading into the cooling season.
- Dust the lamps and lightbulbs. The dust and grime on the bulb makes it dirty, reducing the amount of light it gives off.
- Clean your air filter. Replacing air conditioning filters allows for the system to run efficiently.
- Clean the air return vents. Make sure drapes and furniture aren’t blocking the vents.
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils. The dust builds up, causing the fridge to run less efficiently.
- Thoroughly dust electronics and then unplug them when not in use.
- Scrub the tub and then install low flow showerheads.
Courtney@dom Energy Conservation Analyst
Stephen@dom Energy Conservation Analyst
Go there and read. More next week.